|Chef Aaron’s Recipes||Authentic||New Classics||Get Togethers||Morning Favorites||Soups & Salads||Entrees||Drinks & Desserts|
PREP Time30 min
Chipotle Pulled Pork Tacos with Queso Fresco
- 3 whole dried Ancho chiles
- 3 whole dried Pasilla chiles
- 4 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 2 to 3 chipotles in Adobo sauce
- ½ medium white onion, roughly chopped
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1 Tbsp. cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- Salt to taste
- 3 ¾ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 lbs. boneless pork shoulder (untrimmed), cut into chunks
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
ASSEMBLY & GARNISH
- Corn tortillas, small (warmed for serving)
- 1 package (10 oz.) Cacique® Queso Fresco, crumbled
- 2 avocados, cubed
SPICY RED CABBAGE SLAW
- 1 head of red cabbage, finely sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and shredded
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp. Mexican oregano, crushed
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
Preparation MethodFor chile sauce: Put Ancho and Pasilla chiles and garlic in a bowl. Microwave until soft and pliable for about 2 to 3 minutes. Stem and seed the chiles, peel the garlic and transfer to a blender. Add chipotles and adobo sauce, onion, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, honey, vinegar, 1 tablespoon of salt and oregano to the blender and purée until smooth.
For pork filling: Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the chile sauce and fry, stirring, until thick and fragrant, about 8 minutes. Pour in the broth and reduce until slightly thickened. Season pork all over with salt and pepper and transfer to a large slow cooker. Add the bay leaves and cinnamon stick and then pour in the sauce. Cover and cook on high until the meat is tender, about 5 hours. (Variation: Cook pork in a large Dutch oven, covered, for 1 hour 45 minutes at 350F. Uncover and cook for 30 more minutes.) Pour the sauce into a separate saucepan and set aside until settled. Skim fat off the top then return to burner. Reduce sauce down by 2/3rds until thickened. Reserve sauce. Discard the bay leaves and cinnamon stick. Shred the pork with two forks and season with salt and pepper. Mix in reserved sauce and set aside.
For red cabbage slaw: In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and toss well.
For taco assembly: Using warm tortillas, layer shredded pork, crumbled Cacique® Queso Fresco and garnish with avocados. Serve with a side of spicy red cabbage slaw.